Startup Weekend Wellington
Friday, May 26 - 28, 2017
Friday, May 26 - 28, 2017
Event starts at 6:30 pm
Startup Weekend 2017 is here! Bring your ideas along to Startup Weekend Wellington!
What can you do in 54 hours? Share ideas, meet a team, and be mentored by the industry's finest at Startup Weekend Wellington; where you’ll find the tools to design and build a new product, service or business in the space of a single, fast-paced weekend.
Tap into Wellington’s startup community for a high-energy weekend you won’t forget.
Registrations open now. Sign up to startup
What is a Startup Weekend?
Who should come to a Startup Weekend?
There are three ticket types for this Startup Weekend:
- "Developer" tickets for the people who can do clever things with code and technology.
- "Designer" tickets for those who can make things and experiences beautiful.
- "Non-technical" tickets for those who can bring a business alive through business models, marketing, or other entrepreneurial voodoo.
Why do a Startup Weekend?
- Learn how to startup a business through doing it instead of just reading about it.
- Build your network by spending a weekend with Wellington’s doers and makers.
- Meet potential co-founders, there’s no better way to find people you want to work with – Founders from three out of the six finalists at Webstock Startup Alley 2015 had been through a Startup Weekend.
- Step outside of your comfort zone – Try your hand at something new.
- Actually launch a business – Over 36% of Startup Weekend startups are still going strong after 3 months.
- Work on an idea that could actually help people.
- Get face time with local tech and startup leaders who come along as coaches and judges.
- Join a global community of over 45,000 Startup Weekend alumni, all on a mission to change the world.
How do Startup Weekends work?
No, but really how do they work?
Team forming will be an amazing whirling of people out of which around 10-15 teams emerge. Teams will find a place to set-up base and will spend the rest of Friday night forming a plan of attack. Some teams will get started straight-away, others will go home and be ready to start the next day.
Saturday will be about validation and building your product and business. Validation means getting out and talking to customers. You will find out if your idea is something people want, and if it's not what they want, how can you pivot your idea and solution to find a market. You'll keep on validating all weekend - who are your customers? How much will they pay? Do they like what you're building? Are they willing to buy? You will be using these insights to build your product and your business model, which will be key ingredients for your pitch.
The pitch is what Sunday will be about. On Sunday by dinner time someone (or a few someones) from your team will be doing a 5 minute presentation which tells the judges about your business - what you've built, who you intend to sell to, and what you plan to do next. The best teams win prizes, and everyone will eat, drink and be merry and go home buzzing from the experience.
What happens after Startup Weekend?
So who is it for again?
Hmm...maybe, I'm not sure.... Read some of our blog posts, ask a question, or come to our warm-up event beforehand.
The last few Startup Weekends in Wellington have sold out, so make sure you get in early!
Friday May 26th
Saturday May 27th
Sunday May 28th
Startup Weekend Wellington is 100% led by volunteer community leaders.
Learn how to get involved here
His day job is growing social enterprise at Ākina Foundation, and his passion is where business meets technology meets social impact.
David is a commercial guy who loves building businesses, teams, products and people.
We haven't written any posts yet. Stay tuned!